Semalam pergi pasar with the sole intention of buying shallots (bawang merah). See, shallots had been running scarce for the past 2 months in Miri and I ran out mine more than 2 weeks ago. Had been looking high and low for it but all the shops I went to had none. Until 3 days ago I made a deal with the nyonya at the market. She said supply was coming in 2 days time and so I told her to save me a kilo of them elusive shallots, whatever the price (gila desperate kan?). And so as promised, I went to the market yesterday with high hopes that she’d have my shallots. Alhamdulillah, true to her words… I got my shallots. But at a whopping RM40/kg! Gasak lah!
But today’s post has got nothing to do with shallots heheh! While at the market yesterday, I saw sweet corns on sale. Not that I really love corns but something about pregnancy that makes you crave for things you haven’t had in awhile. In my case, when I saw the corns, I saw an inviting bowl of bubur jagung (sweet corn dessert) in my head. Teruslah mak borong 5 tongkol, walaupun sebenarnya 3 tongkol dah cukup. Nafsu beb… nafsu!
Here’s how my mom taught me to make bubur jagung and I have been making it this way eversince. Sedap… tak tipu!
- 5 tongkol jagung manis
- 1 bungkah gula melaka (di rebus bersama sedikit air dan daun pandan sehingga cair dan agak pekat, kemudian ditapis)
- 1/2 cawan sagu (jika suka)
- santan dari sebiji kelapa
- daun pandan
- sedikit garam
Cara memasak :
1. Leraikan isi jagung dari tongkolnya dengan pisau. Dengan cara ni isi jagung tu akan pecah-pecah, bukan sebutir-sebutir. I like it this way sebab manis dan rasa jagung tu akan lebih terasa sebati dengan kuah bubur tu nanti. Safer for kids too! I choked of a piece of corn once at age 4, trauma sampai sekarang tau!
3. Akhir sekali, masukkan santan dan sedikit garam. Kalau garam mencukupi, lemak santan itu akan lebih terasa jadi pandai-pandailah adjust sendiri =)
Senang je kan? Kalau takut manis sangat, go easy on the sugar at first. Kalau kurang manis, can always add more sugar later sebab gula tu pun dah masak.