I know I’m not the only one with this confusion. Jintan putih is cumin, whereas jintan manis is fennel.
This is cumin/jintan putih :
And this is fennel/jintan manis :
Nampak macam sama je kan?
Okay, these are what I found out (among others) about these 2 spices:
- Cumin is more elongated with pointed ends while fennel is a little rounder and has a darker shade.
- Cumin is slightly hotter than fennel.
- Cumin is used for the aroma, while fennel is used for the flavor.
- Too much cumin will cause your food to become bitter.
- The best way to release the aroma of cumin is to have it lightly roasted and crushed before using as ingredient for cooking.
For more info, go to The Encyclopedia of Spices. The link is on the sidebar of this blog.